Interesting People mailing list archives

A criticism of Gmail and a call for encryption everywhere [priv]

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:35:22 -0400

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 08:04:02 -0400
From: jordan pollack <pollack () cs brandeis edu>
Subject: Re: [IP] Fwd: [Politech] A criticism of Gmail and a call for
 encryption everywhere [priv]
To: dave () farber net

Encrypting your mail to refuse Google its ad revenue will be rejected as an exploit for free storage, as will be only sending email to yourself, sharing your password so others can download the Gig of MP3's or Porn, taking multiple accounts, etc.

There hasnt been a free storage on the internet scheme which hasn't collapsed because the porn and warez pirates are so diligent at inventing exploits. Even reading scrozzled text won't stop someone from setting up 100 free accounts. Google will have to telephone you
or take a credit card or get some other strong human ID.

I do think that a private lifetime online message archive (with search and a desired email brand) backed by storage rental by the megabyteyear is a viable business model and proposed it to
Google in June '02.

But the untenability of Google's spymail  and "free 1Gig" was a surprise to me.

I made a joke that when the fake Kerry sex scandal came out on Drudge, it could
leave him girded against "the prostate issue" with a fake media "virility halo".
The masses like leaders with extra maleness, like Clinton and Schwarzenneger.

Gmail's flaws have led to extreme media coverage, "pumping up" the stock candidate
"virility halo" prior to its IPO.

Jordan