Interesting People mailing list archives

more on U.S. to Mandate Fingerprinting and Photos of More Foreigners [here we go... djf]

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:54:37 -0400

From: Nathan COCHRANE <NCOCHRANE () theage com au>

I travelled through the US recently and I was pleasantly surprised at how unobtrusive the new measures were. Then again, I was on the old Visa Waiver system and did not have to submit to fingerprinting and so on. The DHS staff were outright apologetic at the extra delays and inconveniences caused, however minor.

But I can envisage no circumstance where I would travel to the US under the proposed biometric plan. Especially as it is a betrayal of the US standing agreements with Australian citizens. It is a slap in the face to fellow "Coalition of the Willing" participants.

As to trading fingerprints and photos, much of this can be done using existing intel-signals information infrastructure. But it raises the spectre of a de facto national identity card as people who travel to the US will have their information taken and transmitted to Australian security services. This is a gross violation of our native rights, with our federal government a passive accessory.

It is a national identity system by the backdoor for countries such as Australia, which handily explains why they have not kicked up a ruckus about the profiling of their citizens by a foreign power.