Interesting People mailing list archives

MIT study comparing s/w development in different countries

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:25:37 -0400

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:02:17 -0700
From: Ridgely Evers <revers () evers org>
Subject: MIT study comparing s/w development in different countries
To: 'Dave Farber' <dave () farber net>

Dave,

For IP, if you think it worth passing along.  I first got wind of this via
Peter Coffee's newsletter for eWeek.

http://ebusiness.mit.edu/research/papers/178_Cusumano_Intl_Comp.pdf

Very interesting stuff.  As a recovering coder myself, the biggest surprise
is the difference in 'prep time' - the US spends the least amount of time
getting ready to write code.  This maps to my start-up experience, where one
is typically making much of the product up on the fly, and speaks to the
authors' conclusions, in which they cite the fact that most s/w innovation
seems to come from the US and, to a lesser extent, Europe.

Best,

--Ridge