Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Privacy Question for IP list

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:21:42 -0400

From: Steven Critchfield <critch () basesys com>

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 09:11, Dave Farber wrote:
> From: Tim Onosko <tim () onosko com>
> Subject: Question for IP list

> Dave Farber:
>
> I have a privacy issue question, and perhaps someone on the list can answer it.

 ...snip...
> metadata pertain to?  I was under the impression that UUIDs were always
> associated with Ethernet machine identifiers.

MAC addresses are what is associated with Ethernet hardware. A MAC
address is only supposed to be reasonably unique within a LAN. Since the
MAC address is comprised of 6 bytes, 3 of which are a manufacturer's ID,
this leaves us with 3 bytes of of unique data within a single brand of
Ethernet devices. 3 bytes is just under 16 million.

A UUID is a universally unique ID.
http://www.dsps.net/uuid.html

One of the uses was in web components that needed to be called the same
way, but expire when a new version was available. You could call it with
it's UUID and be sure to get the one you wanted. If you look through a
windows registry, you should see quite a few of them for many components
on your machine.

Yes a UUID could be tracked back to the owner. It could be forged by
editing the binary. It could be changed completely or even omitted.

If you used open source software you could even view how it was created,
and if so inclined, remove the sections of code that inserted it.

Give the image editing software called "The Gimp" a try, you may find it
does enough of what Photoshop does to not need Photoshop.
http://www.gimp.org/