Interesting People mailing list archives

Privacy Question for IP list

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:11:52 -0400

Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 08:54:33 -0500
From: Tim Onosko <tim () onosko com>
Subject: Question for IP list
To: dave () farber net

Dave Farber:

I have a privacy issue question, and perhaps someone on the list can answer it.

I recently wondered if and how programs like Adobe Photoshop embed information in photographic data to identify creators. There is non-visual data, so-called "metadata," that is part of JPEG images, for instance. So I decided to open a JPEG with the Notepad program in Windows to poke around.

In doing so, I found several references to "UUID" numbers, and what appear to be long series of numbers that look like serials and/or MAC addresses. So my question is this: Can you trace a JPEG back to someone who created or modified it? If not, what do the UUID numbers in the metadata pertain to? I was under the impression that UUIDs were always associated with Ethernet machine identifiers.

Thanks,

Tim Onosko