Interesting People mailing list archives

Interesting OpEd on RIAA 'Amnesty' Smiling mouse smells like a rat

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 07:27:45 -0400

Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 06:57:49 -0400
From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Subject: Interesting OpEd on RIAA 'Amnesty'
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

DWAYNE FATHERREE: Smiling mouse smells like a rat
September 08, 2003

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030908/NEWS/30908
0309/1001

DWAYNE FATHERREE: Smiling mouse smells like a rat
September 08, 2003

<http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030908/NEWS/309080309/JavaScript: newWindow = openWin( '/apps/pbcs.dll/art_tips?Date=20030908&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=309080309&SiteData=TL&Profile=1001&SectionCat=', 'SendToFriend', 'width=400,height=450,toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,status=0,menuBar=0,scrollBars=1,resizable=0' ); newWindow.focus()>Email this story.<http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030908/NEWS/309080309/JavaScript: newWindow = openWin( '/apps/pbcs.dll/art_tips?Date=20030908&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=309080309&SiteData=TL&Profile=1001&SectionCat=', 'SendToFriend', 'width=400,height=450,toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,status=0,menuBar=0,scrollBars=1,resizable=0' ); newWindow.focus()>

• <http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030908/NEWS/309080309//apps/pbcs.dll/news_messages?Category=FORUMS&ThemeID=14&GroupID=17245>Discuss this story For some reason unknown to me, my daughters love watching Tom and Jerry cartoons. I guess the image of a little mouse smiling innocently before whacking the cat in the head with a 10-pound sledge hammer is riveting entertainment for children.

Even at their young ages, they know what is going to happen.

The giggles start before the weapon of choice is even shown on the screen.

That’s why the newly announced amnesty for file traders makes me smirk a little. The Recording Industry Association of America is smiling, offering a reassuring piece of mind to users who will admit they have downloaded or shared music files in the past.

Of course, those users have to provide a copy of a photo identification, sign a notarized form promising to delete any music files they may have downloaded and pledge not to do anything so nefarious ever again.

In exchange, the RIAA mouse promises not to add lumps to the user’s noggin with its legal ball-peen hammer.

Let’s look more closely at this one. If users admit to file trading and have their data as part of this huge permanent record, the RIAA will have all the documents it needs to start batch filing civil actions if the amnesty seekers ever download again. I haven’t seen the notarized forms yet, but I can bet they are worded in such a way as to cover undiscovered or unimplemented technologies as well as the current file trading systems.

Also, it is doubtful that any of the true music pirates -- the ones reproducing discs and selling them for profit -- will buy into this. What will happen is the general populace will be defenseless against the legal actions of a corporate lobbying group, while the true criminals continue to prance away, copying and selling music illegally.

Someone needs to stop the madness. The RIAA is acting more and more like an enforcement arm of the federal government at best, like mob protection men at the worst. Even if the organization has the right and power to guarantee amnesty for illegal file traders (which I doubt it does), the only thing that can come of a database such as the one being compiled is further encroachment on the already challenged rights to consumers’ personal use of music.

If I were to start collecting data from online users without their knowledge, compile it and use it to extort money from them, I would be a criminal. The RIAA has managed to do the same thing, except it was aided and abetted by legislators, courts and even the White House.

Current anti-piracy laws were designed to fight music pirates, not music consumers. The logical resolution of this battle, in the eyes of the RIAA, at least, will be the elimination of any consumer fair use rights. I don’t know that for fact, but all of the actions taken so far certainly point in that direction. The only option for the consumers who want to be able to use music they purchase is to stand up to the whims of the music lobby now.

Take my advice. Just say no to the smiling mouse. Your bump-free skull will thank me later.