Interesting People mailing list archives

California Men's Gatherings - We've been BLACKLISTED!

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 20:26:50 -0400

Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 15:33:13 -0700
From: Thomas Leavitt <thomasleavitt () hotmail com>
Subject: Fw: California Men's Gatherings - We've been BLACKLISTED!
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Cc: dave () farber net

Here's another example of the negative effects of anti-spam enforcement efforts.

Please note that the source of these emails was manual sign ups at community events,
etc. (at least mine was), and that these emails were therefore "opt-in".

And, of course, as these folks note, anyone using an AOL.com address will be prevented from using most of their web based functionality if they don't set up a free email address somewhere
else.

I wonder how many times this happens every week, as small organizations who've laborously gathered contact information over many years for hundreds of folks attempt to transition to a more automated and professional system, and wind up getting caught up as collatoral damage in the anti-spam wars. I know of a local organization that tried the same thing, and wound up losing contact with 80%+ of their former subscribers. The result: anytime I suggest establishing a mailing list for contact with members, the veterans of that experience immediately oppose it.
The integrity of the Internet is being severely damaged by these efforts.

We need smarter solutions that meet the real need of people and organizations to communicate via email, and that are capable of distinguishing between spammers and folks like the California
Men's Gatherings.

Regards,
Thomas Leavitt