Interesting People mailing list archives

Empire builders

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 11:27:46 -0400

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 11:06:24 -0400
From: Claudio GutiƩrrez <gutierrezclaudio () terra cl>
Subject: Empire builders
To: dave () farber net

Dave: Please remove my info if forwarded to IP

    The Christian Science Monitor made a special report about neoconservatives
(http://www.csmonitor.com/specials/neocon/index.html) from where I extracted
some quotes:

"We are going to have to take the war against [the terrorists] often to other
people's territory, and all of the norms of international order make it
difficult to do that. So the president has to reshape fundamental attitudes
toward those norms, or we are going to have our hands tied by an antiquated
institution [the traditional international system] that is not capable of
defending us."
      - Richard Perle

"American power should be used not just in the defense of American interests but
for the promotion of American principles."
      - William Kristol

"The President of the United States, on issue after issue, has reflected the
thinking of neoconservatives."
      - Richard Perle

"It is time to stop pretending that Europeans and Americans share a common view
of the world, or even that they occupy the same world."
      - Robert Kagan

"Iraq is just one battle in a larger war, bringing down the regime in Iran is
the central act, because Iran is the world's most dangerous terrorist country."
      - Michael Ledeen

"On the outcome of the confrontation with Tehran, more than any other, rests the
future of the Bush Doctrine - and, quite possibly, the Bush presidency - and
prospects for a safer world."
      - William Kristol

"Republicans are good at wielding power, but they're not so wonderful when it
comes to the more idealistic motives of liberal internationalism. The Democrats
are better at liberal internationalism, but they're not so good at wielding
power. I would say that if there were a Joe Lieberman/John McCain party, I'm in
the Joe Lieberman/John McCain party."
      - Robert Kagan