Interesting People mailing list archives

An annoyed Farber -- Microsoft vulnerabilities in Office products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 10:43:52 -0400

OF COURSE MS IN THE EXPECTED "PROTECT OUR PRODUCT" MODE requires you to have the cdrom in order to install this critical and important protection. I have just moved and , like many, have no idea where the damn box is so I can not protect my self except to not use the Office suite. Why are such emergency updates conditional on finding the damn cdrom???

Dave

Microsoft has issued a security notice concerning the entire Microsoft
Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook). The vulnerability could
allow an attacker to gain control of a machine. For those faculty and staff who
are out of the office today please visit the following websites to
receive the latest patches:

http://www.windowsupdate.com
http://www.officeupdate.com/ProductUpdates/default.aspx

Please note, to receive the patches you must click on the scanning tool.
In some cases, you will have to provide the installation media (CD)
during the patch installation.

Generally the installation takes between 10-25 minutes (longer if you're
using a dial up connection).  Your cooperation is very much appreciated
and if you have any questions please contact me directly.