Interesting People mailing list archives

Reykjavik becoming the first city where every home is connected to fiber

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:17:51 -0500

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:51:17 +0000
From: Gudjon Mar Gudjonsson <gudjonsson () digitalreykjavik com>
Subject: Reykjavik becoming the first city where every home is connected to
 fiber
To: dave () farber net
[ I may go djf]

Dear Dave,

My name is Gudjon Mar Gudjonsson. I'm a consultant in the broadband
industry, and have been working for various companies in the field.

As I have learned more about the broadband industry worldwide, I have
noticed how unique the situation here in Iceland is. Iceland's capital,
Reykjavik, has an unsurpassed fiber infrastructure and recent plans on
behalf of the city's utility company and the formerly state owned telecom
operator seem to be leading Reykjavik to becoming the first city in the
entire world where every single houshold is connected with a
Fiber-To-The-Home connection.  I imagine this might be of interest for
Interesting People to cover.

These enthusiastic plans, as well as a thorough look at the state and the
future of the broadband industry will be presented at a conference by the
end of next month, called Digital Rekjavik www.digitalreykjavik.com

The conference has attracted several influential speakers including among
others Esther Dyson of EDventure holdings and Tim Johnson the founder of
telecom advisor Ovum.

I have personally been involved in many of the FTTH plans here and would be
more than willing to fill you in on what is happening here.

With best regards,

 Gudjon Mar Gudjonsson
 Broadband Consultant
 gudjon () digitalreykjavik com

P.S. I might add that this time of the year is a wonderful time to visit our
country, so visiting the Digital Reykjavik conference might not be all work
and no fun!