Interesting People mailing list archives

Al Gore's Speech yesterday

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:53:44 -0500

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:46:17 -0500
From: "Schulze,Shawn M" <SSCHULZE () Travelers com>
Subject: RE: Al Gore's Speech yesterday
To: dave () farber net

I haven't seen any IP comments on the Speech Al Gore gave yesterday for
MoveOn.

Did anyone watch it yesterday on CSPAN? A copy of the speech (Text or
Video) Is available at http://www.moveon.org

From the conclusion of the speach:

[]

"As John Adams wrote in 1780, ours is a government of laws and not of men. What is at stake today is that defining principle of our nation, and thus the very nature of America. As the Supreme Court has written, “Our Constitution is a covenant running from the first generation of Americans to us and then to future genera­tions.” The Constitution includes no wartime exception, though its Framers knew well the reality of war. And, as Justice Holmes reminded us shortly after World War I, the Constitution’s principles only have value if we apply them in the difficult times as well as those where it matters less.

The question before us could be of no greater moment: will we continue to live as a people under the rule of law as embodied in our Constitution? Or will we fail future generations, by leaving them a Constitution far diminished from the charter of liberty we have inherited from our forebears? Our choice is clear."