Interesting People mailing list archives

Pittsburgh audiences are way more sophisticated than you'd guess from city's image

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:50:05 -0500

On the Arts: Pittsburgh audiences are way more sophisticated than you'd guess from city's image

Sunday, November 09, 2003

By Lynne Conner

Remember the Image Gap Committee -- the group of local experts who last summer told us that out-of-towners still regard Pittsburgh as a smoky, sports-obsessed, Rust Belt town with a working-class mentality?

Grrrr. If you were born in Pittsburgh and made the choice to return and build a career here, you don't need a commissioned report to tell you the above. When I was growing up, I heard those comments from friends and family in other cities. Now I hear it from transplanted professionals. Since I seem to pass as a non-native (I work in a field where it is assumed that everyone comes from somewhere else), I am subjected to conversations filled with jokes and slurs about Pittsburgh and Pittsburghers. I used to take some pleasure in revealing my shameful birth secret about mid-conversation. But by now I've learned not to take it personally. I understand that for many of my artist and academic colleagues, leaving home is the prescribed first step in the "how to achieve success" myth we've all been fed.

But here's some information the Image Gap Committee may not have collected during its yearlong investigation: Pittsburgh has been suffering from an image gap for 200 years.

I began researching the city's theater history a few years ago, and in that time I've read many reductive references to Pittsburgh audiences in history books, newspapers and memoirs. We've long been accused of being conservative, hard to please and easily offended. And apparently we still are. How else to explain why the producers of "The Producers" decided to excise a well-known four-letter word for part of the show's Pittsburgh run last year? I don't know about you, but I hear that word on a regular basis in Pittsburgh theater (and on television and at the movies and in the classroom and occasionally in my own automobile) and manage to avoid marching off in an offended huff.

We might call this an example of city profiling -- the habit of identifying an entire city based on a simplified (and often simplistic) set of characteristics. Like people profiling, city profiling provides an easy way to classify and thus to target (or market) something.

In American culture, the process of characterizing audiences on the basis of geography is a long-established practice. And so it goes with Pittsburgh, a city forever viewed through the haze of a smokestack.

When a touring actor named Noah Ludlow came through town in the fall of 1815, he pronounced us a city full of "iron-fisted burghers." He was frustrated that local residents refused to help flesh out his cast for Richard Sheridan's "Pizarro" by taking on various supernumerary roles. In "Dramatic Life As I Found It," Ludlow complained, "Virgins [of course I mean stage virgins] were not to be had in Pittsburgh in those days. Seamstresses and shoe-binders would have as soon thought of walking deliberately into Pandemonium as to have appeared on the stage as 'supers' or 'corps de ballet.' "

This transformed into a theater industry myth that Pittsburghers were reluctant about theater-going in general -- a trait that has been traced to the stern attitudes of our Scots-Irish founding fathers and the hardscrabble life of our immigrant work force. In Willard Glazier's amusingly titled "Peculiarities of American Cities" from 1884, the author goes as far as to inform his international readership that theaters are hard to find in Pittsburgh because "Work is the object of life with them. It occupies them from morning until night, from cradle to grave."

Maybe that explains why the great Italian actress Eleonora Duse was loath to make a stop here during her 1924 tour. She called Pittsburgh the most hideous city in the world, though clearly her distaste for our town didn't extend as far as our wallets; the receipts from her sold-out performance at the Syria Mosque were considerable. The unfortunate fact that she died here a week or so later didn't help our international reputation. And even though she was 64 years old and was suffering from chronic lung disease, Pittsburgh quickly took the blame for her "untimely and tragic" demise.

Vitriol poured from printing presses around the world, including this passage from E.A. Rheinhardt's widely read "The Life of Eleonora Duse": "But she had to go on to Pittsburgh ... where the hundreds of thousands who lived amid this chaos of barracks shaken by the perpetual throb of machinery did not seem to know that there were such things as flowers and sunny air and quiet hills and wind filled with the perfume of violets." Ouch.

Other characterizations range from vaudeville circuit jokes about Pittsburgh theater audiences who "sit on their hands" to this comment in the New York Herald Tribune from 1941: "The city is conservative in taste ... and prone to pride itself on being hypercritical. In this last respect, there is a feeling that whereas New York is helter-skelter and will 'go for anything,' Pittsburgh is homogenous, select and discriminating."

The most damning myth of recent years may well be the story of how Pittsburgh lost the American Conservatory Theater to San Francisco in 1967. A careful look at the record shows that wunderkind Bill Ball left Pittsburgh after one season of residence at the Playhouse for myriad reasons: political, aesthetic and temperamental. But in the years since, several national histories of the American stage have named only one villain -- that "homogenous" and endlessly conservative Pittsburgh audience.

But here's the problem with that characterization: the gap in the Image Gap, as it were. How could a city of only "iron-fisted burgers" spawn and sustain an arts community of considerable breadth and vitality for so many years? In fact, my research provides ample evidence that we have an excellent track record as eager and openminded theatergoers.

While Ludlow may have experienced difficulty locating stage virgins in 1815, his company had no trouble finding an audience to fill the local playhouse's 400 seats for three solid months (and at the high cost of $1 per seat). Or the fact that since at least the 1880s producers ranging in style from the Shuberts to Florenz Ziegfeld to New York's heralded Theatre Guild to the Living Theatre (among the most famous of the 1960s-era experimental companies) have used Pittsburgh as a testing ground for their work.

The best evidence of our audience vitality and diversity, though, is in the plethora of indigenous theater companies. In 1935, there were more than 50 theater companies operating locally, from Jewish theaters to workers' troupes to the brand-new Pittsburgh Playhouse. In the 1910s there were several "art theaters" on Penn Avenue (and they weren't showing nudie films, either). The proof of the pudding is in the eating -- these companies and these playhouses could not have existed without a diverse and adventurous audience base.

Which brings us full circle to Mel Brooks and the "f" word. Why is it that Pittsburgh can't seem to get over being "Pittsburgh" in the national perception? The real issue here might be little more than a numbers game. In a place such as New York, where there are lots and lots of people, it is easier to see diversity among audiences, artists and arts organizations. In Pittsburgh, with fewer numbers all around, we become homogenous in the eyes of outsiders, even though we are a diverse city with demonstrably diverse audiences.

Anyone who goes to Pittsburgh theater knows, for example, that the Pittsburgh Irish and Classical Theatre crowd is different from the Quantum crowd, which is different from the CLO audience, which shares some members with the City and Public audiences, which in turn is different from the Little Lake crowd. And so on.

Pittsburgh audiences are not and have never been homogenous, nor is it possible to describe the city's collective taste, since there is no such thing. Some audience members would surely be offended by a swear word. Others are hearing it regularly without complaint. Some relish the new and unusual. Others look for traditional plays and familiar performers. Some are truly conservative. Others truly are not. Much the same as in New York City and Cleveland and Rome and San Francisco and Little Rock and London and ...