Interesting People mailing list archives

more on -- not finding WMD in Iraq; were we wrong?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 15:50:16 -0400

Subject: RE: [IP] not finding WMD in Iraq; were we wrong?
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Hiawatha Bray <watha () monitortan com>

As one of those who supported the war effort, I find this argument rather
unsatisfactory.  What about all the reports that the Iraqi army was ready to
use the stuff if we crossed the dreaded "red line?"  They'd have had to have
access to the weapons if the reports were true.  So given the rapid collapse
of resistance, we'd have reasonably expected to find some signs of these
weapons.

And what about all the high-ranking officials now held by the allies?  They
no longer need fear the consequences of revealing what they know.  So why
aren't they leading us to the caches of hidden weapons?

I still think we'll find something eventually.  After all, if Iraq really
had disarmed, Saddam put his country through 12 years of sanctions for
nothing.  It makes no sense to work so hard to conceal the fact that you
aren't violating international law.

That said, I still find the failure thus far to find WMDs quite surprising.

Hiawatha Bray
Boston Globe

-----