Interesting People mailing list archives

not finding WMD in Iraq; were we wrong?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 15:18:29 -0400

Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:56:24 -0400
From: Gerry Faulhaber <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>

Dave [for IP, if you wish]--

We have recently seen reports in the press (and on IP; e.g.,
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A39211-2003May25.html) that
the failure of the US to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq shows that
Hussein really didn't have any such things, and the predicate of the recent
war was entirely bogus.

Whether or not the predicate was bogus (and I'm prepared to believe it was),
the failure to find WMD says *nothing* about whether or not Hussein had them
and has hid them.  The linkage of failure-to-find with there-never-were-any
ignores some basic facts about looking for physical evidence when the
originator doesn't want you to find it.

Let's look at a simple, familiar analogy: the US government, state and local
police, and most citizens are adamantly opposed to the production,
distribution and consumption of illegal drugs, and go to great lengths to
find production labs, processing operations, and warehouses here in the US.
We know that there are thousands of such facilities, in every US community.
Even worse, they often have large stocks of illegal weapons (such as
automatic weapons) that we would also like to find.  We devote lots of
effort to finding these facilities.  These are not in a strange country;
they are in the US, among us all.  And yet law enforcement is not even close
to knowing where they are, despite strenuous efforts to find them.  Do we
thus conclude that they really don't exist in the US?  Of course not.  If we
can't find these illegal drug operations in our own country after years of
searching, what makes us think it is easy to find WMD in a strange country
after a month of searching?  Do we thus conclude that the WMD really don't
exist in Iraq?  Of course not.

Ultimately, law enforcement finds these illegal items when somebody rats 'em
out; it's human intelligence.  The same is true in Iraq; we need good
intelligence from Iraqis in the know in order to find this stuff.  Until we
get good intelligence, no amount of searching is going to turn up the
chemical factories.

Was Hussein engaged in the production of WMD?  Given his great reluctance to
let UN inspectors in the country, and his reluctance to let them talk with
Iraqi scientists, my best guess is he was hiding his production of WMD; it's
difficult to explain his behavior under any other hypothesis (other than
stupidity).  I feel relatively confident that someday evidence of WMD will
turn up in Iraq, but probably not for another 2-3 years.  Meanwhile, be
cautious about what we can deduce from the failure to find a "smoking gun"
in the short term.  We simply cannot conclude, based on coming up empty in
the short term, conclude that Hussein was not producing WMD.  Remember how
hard it is to find drug stashes in this country, let alone WMD in Iraq.

Prof. Gerald Faulhaber
Business and Public Policy Dept.
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104