Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Adam Osborne RIP

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 06:08:57 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Denise Caruso <denise () caruso com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 23:09:55 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Adam Osborne RIP

Wow. Sad. My very first job in technology was as an editor for
Osborne Computer Corp.'s user magazine, which is where I met Lee and
a really truly remarkably eclectic cast of characters.

I hope Markoff writes the obit. Whatever anyone may have thought of
him as a human being, Adam was seminal to the PC industry in a whole
lot of ways. That column he wrote before he started the company was
catalytic, and remember that interminable lawsuit between him and
Lotus (it was Lotus, wasn't it?) about the legal right to make a
compatible spreadsheet? Ahead of its time, IP-wise, beyond the
obvious PR value. A fool's quest but still and all.

I certainly owe him my career -- it was Osborne's going bankrupt that
thrust me into the arms of Infoworld, where Markoff and Paul
Freiberger and Michael Swaine had just stalked off the job in protest
of Stewart Alsop's arrival as editor. After I wrote the news stories
about the company's demise, I got to take over Markoff's desk, which
I think explains everything about my subsequent career. :)

Anyhow. Just thought I'd share my flashback.

Denise