Interesting People mailing list archives

CLEAR CHANNEL's Conspiracy

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 19:13:57 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:52:13 -0800
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] CLEAR CHANNEL's Conspiracy

[Note:  This item comes from reader Tom Williams.  DLH]

From: Tom Williams <tom () AirNetworking com>
To: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: CLEAR CHANNEL's Conspiracy
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:37:09 -0800

MEDIA GIANT'S RALLY SPONSORSHIP RAISES QUESTIONS

 Clear Channel Communications, Inc., owner of
 more than 1200 radio stations
 nationwide, has sponsored several pro-war
 rallies in US cities, a move that
 has drawn criticism from legal scholars and media watchdogs.

 [SOURCE: The Chicago Tribune, AUTHOR: Tim Jones]

One of those events is being held this weekend in Richmond.
Star billing goes to Glenn Beck, whose show is distributed
by CC and who (as far as I can tell) originated the idea,
more or less.  (Beck actually credits a 16-year-old girl
with starting the thing; she invited him to speak at her
rally, and he just ran with the idea after that.)

I'm personally more bothered by CC's size than by
their possible participation in patriotic gatherings
(They *are* sorta Borg-like), but this got my curiosity
going.  I have a call in to Richmond's Clear Channel
station, hoping someone there will actually tell me
if CC contributed any money to this (other than
Glenn Beck's air time).  I'll let you know if they
return the call, and if they provide any real
information.

At least according to Beck, these were never initiated
by Clear Channel.  Beck also claims that when NPR did a
telephone interview with him, that they decided not to
run the story after he told them that Clear Channel was
innocent of the allegation.

But hey, I forgot, all the radio bias is right-wing,
so that last sentence can't be true, right?

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net>
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>

------ End of Forwarded Message