Interesting People mailing list archives

more more on Precedents for Google's search patent

From: Dave Farber <farber () trial danger net>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 18:05:22 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Garfield, Eugene <Garfield () codex cis upenn edu>
To: 'dave () farber net' <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Precedents for Google's search patent
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 17:44:54 -0500

Dear Dave: I am amused by some of the comments you have received. The
misconceptions about the origins of the Science Citation Index is even more amusing. SCI was not developed originally for the informetric purposes it is now often used for. It is a tool for information retrieval. I met the people
at Shepard's Citations in 1954 but they did not have a clue as to its
fundamental character as a network of citations. They of course did not
index literature, but case law.

The idea of the literature as a topological network did not emerge until we began experiments on the Genetics Citation Index in the early sixties, five
years after my first paper in Science in 1955.

Garfield, E. "Citation Indexes for Science: A New Dimension in Documentation through Association of Ideas." " Science, 122(3159), p.108-11, July 1955.
http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/papers/science_v122(3159)p108y1955.htm

In 1964 Irv Sher and I showed how citation networks could be used to create
historiographs.
http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/papers/useofcitdatawritinghistofsci.pd
f We now have developed programs for this kind of algorithmic
historiography.

The idea of a graph theoretic structure was formalized when my brother Ralph
Garner did his Master's Thesis at Drexel in 1967
http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/rgarner.pdf COMPUTER-ORIENTED GRAPH
THEORETIC ANALYSIS OF
CITATION INDEX STRUCTURES.
I often discussed this work with Saul Gorn when I taught the course in IR at
the Penn Moore School.

I believe that it was Bill Arms, now at Cornell, who first pointed out to me
the link between Google and the Science Citation Index which began, I
believe, when the founders of Google were at Stanford. If there is a
complete history of the evolution of Google I would like to see it. Gene

Eugene Garfield, PhD. email garfield () codex cis upenn edu
tel 215-243-2205   fax 215-387-1266
President, The Scientist   www.the-scientist.com
Chairman Emeritus, ISI  www.isinet.com
home page: www.eugenegarfield.org
Past President, American Society for Information Science and Technology
(ASIS&T)  www.asis.org