Interesting People mailing list archives

2 on -- a French view

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:16:51 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Jose M Guardia <joseg () guardiasociados com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 20:29:48 +0100
To: Richard Jay Solomon <rsolomon () dsl cis upenn edu>, Dave Farber
<dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: FW: [IP] a French view

I'd say that Le Monde Diplomatique is probably further left than the
typical left-of-center represented by Le Monde (the journal), but of course
this is a personal opinion. In any case, Le Monde Diplomatique's
circulation is a tiny fraction (then again, it's a monthly) as compared to
the daily Le Monde, which has a biggest impact on public opinion as you
know from your experience living in France. I wouldn't dare to say that
LMDiplomatique is a fringe publication, but it's read mostly among people
quite in the far left (anti-globalization activists, etc).

But I totally agree with you 1) it's great to have access to views from far
away, which is something only the Internet allows. I am myself able to
reach, from Barcelona where I live, multiple points of view, and somehow
getting wider perspective than the overwhelmingly predominant anti-war (and
too often plainly anti-American) position on European mainstream media. But
that's another story :-)

and 2) I totally agree on the importance of reaching to different
viewpoints, even when they are opposed to your own. That's the way you can
be sure that your opinion is not simply a lack of contrast with other
opinions. As I wrote in a previous message to IP, and excuse me for the
self-quote, "I think that it's
important to receive all kinds of information, because one can only be sure
of his opinions when confronted with opposing views, not when kept drinking
his own bathwater, so to speak."

All the best,

Jose M Guardia

------ End of Forwarded Message