Interesting People mailing list archives

a strong comment on -- CIA recommends prosecuting press outlets for espionage

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 22:05:43 -0400

Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 21:47:08 -0400
From: "Baker, Stewart" <SBaker () steptoe com>

Dave,

Jim Warren's rant does not do justice to this issue. He assumes that anything classified is classified to save some bureaucrat's butt. But there are genuine national security secrets, and in the last 25 years the press has simply lost sight of that. (Probably the last restraints died, ironically, at the hands of the right. Anti-Clinton leaks to Bill Gertz, and his full-frontal release of classified data in the Washington Times are now the gold standard for press irresponsibility.)

In fact, maintaining strict national security secrets in a war on terrorism is probably more important than in the Cold War. In the old days, the press could argue that anything it could figure out, the Russians had probably already figured out, given their resources and intense surveillance of our government. But now we're fighting an enemy whose principal intelligence capability is reading the New York Times on line (though since the Jayson Blair thing they may have switched to the Post). At any rate, if it's not in the press, the chances that al-Qaeda is going to find out about our capabilities and plans is nearly zero. That makes press reporting of national security secrets a particularly dangerous thing.

In fact, there's a pretty fair argument that Bin Laden is alive and three thousand Americans are dead because of press leaks of such information. Bin Laden dumped his satellite phone when the press reported that we were using the phone to target him with cruise missiles. Without the leak, we might have had another three years of intelligence and opportunity to kill Bin Laden before 9/11. As I remember, that was a pro-Clinton leak. Responding to claims that our cruise missile attack on an Afghan camp was futile and merely designed to make everyone forget Monica, some White House staffer told the press, "No, we really almost got him. We had his satellite phone number, so we knew he was there." Do I think that that staffer -- and the press that lapped up the colorful detail -- should face prosecution? In light of what it cost us, don't you?

Stewart Baker
Steptoe & Johnson LLP
1330 Connecticut Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20036