Interesting People mailing list archives

take the pledge

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 05:11:25 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Dana Blankenhorn <danablankenhorn () mindspring com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:17:21 -0400
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] RIAA plans lawsuit binge against file traders

That is what we have been doing for two years, Dave. That is why record
sales are down. It's not because of file trading -- most file traders
wouldn't buy anyway. (They can't afford to.)

But many, many consumers have decided not to accept the terms, conditions,
and prices under which music is being offered by these producers. They have
either slowed down their buying or stopped altogether.

And music sales are down.

Your point is that if we boycott more actively now, and the RIAA gets away
with closing down ftp-with-a-database, they will get the message.

So far that hasn't happened. The record companies believe they can force us
to rent songs on their terms, at their prices, and that we can't live
without their property. So they plan on building "DRM" into everything we
buy from now on, until we knuckle-under.

It's going to be a long, long war. And it's going to take a massive hit to
sales in order to have an impact.

Can someone please organize this in some way? Maybe a Web site with a pledge
we can sign -- "I promise never to buy another CD or song until the RIAA
members offer us products on terms we can accept." Or some such.

Dana Blankenhorn   dana () a-clue com
The Blankenhorn Effect  http://www.trafford.com/robots/02-1082.html
Subscribe to A-Clue.Com  http://www.a-clue.com
Visit my Moores Lore blog at  http://www.corante.com/mooreslore