Interesting People mailing list archives

more on An "interesting" view of ICANN obligations Replies are welcome

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 05:09:26 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Dan Hunter <hunterd () wharton upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:37:14 -0400
To: Einar Stefferud <Stef () thor nma com>, Brad Templeton
<brad () templetons com>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] An "interesting" view of ICANN obligations Replies are
welcome

To deal with these various messages in turn:

I take Stef to mean section II.C.4 of the MOU
(http://www.icann.org/general/icann-mou-25nov98.htm).  This requires
ICANN to abide by some conception of "representation".  Clearly this
imports some aspect of an understanding of representative democracy,
but this is a poor proxy for a generalized conception of democracy
within ICANN.  For a start it only speaks to representation, and
doesn't explain what this might mean.  ICANN can point to the various
directors as "representatives" of numerous constituencies and can
presumably satisfy this requirement.  Second, the requirement is not
actionable by "constituents" and presumably it is for the DOC to bring
suit for breach of contract in the unlikely event that it thinks that
ICANN has breached its "representative" obligations.  I'd love to see
someone try to bring an action to require the DOC to enforce the terms
of the MOU.  Finally, and perhaps most obviously, the MOU clearly
doesn't import the obligations of transparency, accountability and the
like that Michael Froomkin and others insist are ICANN's lot.  I may be
wrong but it doesn't seem to me that ICANN has democratic obligations
founded in the MOU.

Of course this says nothing about other normative foundations for ICANN
democratic obligations.  Which is what I think that Brad is saying.
But just because users need the DNS (no argument there) it doesn't seem
to me to follow that this imports democratic obligations.  I don't
think that anyone really suggests that ICANN has failed to maintain the
DNS, which would be clear grounds for termination of its contract by
the DOC.  But we're not arguing about this, nor are we arguing about
whether it is a powerful organization.  We're arguing about whether it
has democratic obligations.  Everyone seems to assume that it *must*
have these obligations.  It intuitively seems right (to me too).  But
I'm hard pressed to find a good normative justification, and I haven't
seen anyone else who has provided one.

Take another example: the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation is
the organization charged with overseeing the rebuilding of the WTC
site.  When it presented its initial design, there was widespread
gnashing of teeth at how awful the design was.  New Yorkers (amongst
many others, most notably the families of the victims of 9/11) demanded
the right to have a say in the design, and so the LMDC created the
high-profile, public-vote competition that Liebeskind et al recently
"won."  But the LMDC doesn't have democratic obligations, even though
many people believe they have a right to have a voice in the design.
(And as an aside, the competition was an elaborate PR exercise, and the
final design of the building is going to be privately determined and is
not going to be the one that the people "voted" on).  There are many
things that we feel we *should* have a say in.  But just because we
believe that an organization should be democratic doesn't make it so.

Let me say that I'm not a fan of the way that ICANN operates, nor of
the people who comprise the officers of the organization.  I just
happen to believe that assuming that democracy applies to online
organizations is a bad bad idea (for reasons too dull to go into here,
but which I sketch in that article).

Dan.