Interesting People mailing list archives

Trip report to date

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 04:56:06 +0900

Well GG and I are finally in Tokyo. We left Honolulu early on Friday for an
uneventful flight to Narita where we were picked up by our friend Hiro. WE
are staying at the Takanawa Prince Hotel Sakura Tower. We have a neat view
of the Tokyo Tower. Nice big rooms also. Do join the Prince Hotel Club -- it
is free.

I am using Westport Communications Wireless Internet access. It uses the PHS
phone/data system that started in Japan as a funny cell phone service and
has evolved into a widely used wireless service. Works like a charm
everywhere I have tried it to date even on the top floor of the hotel.

Just recapping the first part of our trip. I was the Distinguished Lecturer
at the HICSS conference on Kona. There were about 750 attendees plus Sos
from around the world. My talk on Intellectual Property and National
Security went over very well and the introduction by John Seely Brown
brought back old memories of UCI and the DCS system (grid computing). I made
an audio  recording of my talk and will process it when we get back to
Pittsburgh. The power point is available on request.

After the great eating, try Sam Choy in Kona,  and talking at Kona, we flew
to Honolulu and I attended the Spam session at the OECD/GIP meeting there.
Nothing new on that front.. Spam is a big problem and the cures are
difficult.

The Waikiki area of Honolulu feels just like the Ginza. GG and I ate some
very good Japanese meals as well as Hawaiian.

More after I get to the Akihabara.

Dave

Till 23 Jan -- +81-90-5792-7542