Interesting People mailing list archives

More on surveillance: Would countermeasures be illegal?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 18:21:42 -1000

------ Forwarded Message
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 15:57:06 -0800
To: politech () politechbot com
Subject: FC: More on surveillance: Would countermeasures be illegal?

Scott makes an excellent point. In fact, the version of my column that I
filed (before it was edited) said:
Nobody wants to live in a society where people sneak around in darkness,
armed with camera-zappers and transmission-blockers, if they wish to have
a modicum of privacy and solitude. Besides, it wouldn't take long for
governments to make those self-protection methods illegal anyway.
Short of fleeing to the wilderness or living our lives entirely online,
our only option is to fight the Poindexterization of modern life before it
becomes too late. Congress returns this week. Why not ask your
congresscritter why there has never been even one hearing investigating
DARPA, Poindexter, and his Total Information Awareness plans?

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-04284.html

-Declan

---