Interesting People mailing list archives

more on FCC Plans to Erase Key Rule On Local Phone Competition

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 08:31:10 -1000

------ Forwarded Message
From: david.e.young () verizon com
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 13:16:37 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on FCC Plans to Erase Key Rule On Local Phone
Competition

Dave,

This letter is heartfelt and sincere, I'm sure, but there are some internal
inconsistencies that just can't go unmentioned.  First and foremost, of the
$350 per month cited for communications expenses, only 20% is going to the
local phone company, which the author claims has the "teeth and tollbooth of
the local monopoly".  Nearly 30% of his monthly spend is going to wireless
voice providers (neither of which is affiliated with his local phone
company). Second, he claims that Ivan Seidenberg  "said its important for
the software industry to lean on the state regulators to let Verizon have
its DSL monopoly."  What monopoly?  He himself sends $50 per month to AT&T
broadband as do 2/3rds of all broadband subscribers.  Why should the ILEC
DSL service with 1/3 of the broadband market be regulated more heavily than
the cable company with 2/3rds.  Finally, he cites the decline in telecom R&!
D.  This unfortunately is an unintended consequence of the dismantling of
the Bell System.  Under the Bell System, the cost of basic research at Bell
Labs could be included in the overhead at Western Electric, which was
included in the cost of equipment purchased by the BOCs which was included
in the rate base and paid for over a long period of time.  Most telecom R&D
is still done by the equipment manufacturers, but unless somebody starts
buying more equipment it is in serious jeopardy.  Any regulations (such as
UNE-P) that discourage companies from investing in networks and equipment
threaten the health of research and innovation in the remaining labs.

-David

--------------------------------
David E. Young
Director, Internet & Technology Policy
Verizon Communications
1300 I Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
+1 202-515-2425  <Office>
+1 202-365-4755  <Mobile>
+1 202-336-7923  <Fax>
david.e.young () verizon com

"Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Sent by: owner-ip () v2 listbox com 01/06/2003 12:16 PM
Please respond to dave