Interesting People mailing list archives

Airport fun

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 14:53:13 -1000

GG and I have a lot of experience with airport security at PIT, SFO over the
past few days. At both airports the checked luggage rules have had little if
any impact. What is a problem is the magnetic gadget you walk through. It is
set so sensitive that the buckles of a pair of Burks triggers it and gets
you examined. So take off your shoes, walk on a dirty cold floor though the
gadget, balance to get your shoes on and  still hope your belt buckle does
not trigger it.  Just wait till they decide that gold fillings trigger it.

If you have an artificial limb be prepared to get inspected by folks who
have not been trained in how to handle people with such. Take shoes off and
stand up. That is dam dangerous . They listen and do try.

I found them courteous and pleasant folk who need more training in non
standard procedures.

Now at PIT you must have a boarding pass prior to security. A non TSA person
checks identity prior to security after that no id checking.  In SFO they
still check getting on the plane as well as on the entrance and still allow
getting boarding  at plane side. If this all makes sense it escapes me.

Dave