Interesting People mailing list archives

Update on disturbing eBay auction [ this was the Re: Woah....this is disturbing...item]

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 03:35:45 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Jose M Guardia <joseg () guardiasociados com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 09:27:33 +0100
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Update on disturbing eBay auction

Dave,

You posted that link to the eBay auction, so I thought you might be
interested in this update:

Best

Jose M Guardia

http://212.100.234.54/content/28/29104.html

EBay pulls CNET staff auction
By Andrew Orlowski in San Francisco
EBay has pulled an auction in which the entire staff of ZDNet's Tech Update
were available for sale.
Personnel included three staff in San Francisco and seven in Boston, and
touted the group as "formerly a vital division of one of the top ten
highest-trafficked sites on the Web, currently available to instantly
implement professional Web site or print magazine. Bi-coastal staff has
familiarity with information technology issues, HTML, Vignette, and AP
style."
"Resumes available to highest bidder. Bidders should be prepared to make a
total annual commitment for salary and benefits in the high six figures."
A spokesperson for Ebay told us that the listing fell foul of a
technicality.
"We do advertise professional services," he told us. "But the reason we
removed it was that it contained wording that made it appear that there was
a price to be determined. It appeared that winning bidder would have to
determine what the individual would be paid."
Gallows humor from insiders, or a prank? The debt-laden tech behemoth,
which had run up $2.4 billion in accumulated deficits last fall, employs
1,500 staff and laid off five per cent of its workers a fortnight ago.
"I've no idea," editor-in-chief Dan Farber told us, although he suspected
that it may be former CNET staffers.
So the mystery continues.
Bidding had reached $8.50 when eBay pulled the plug. Which is a bargain
indeed, if it includes Dr Bonkers. ®

Jose M Guardia
Internet, Media & Technology Analyst
Barcelona, Spain
Ph. [++34] 629-74-26-24  |  E-mail: joseg () guardiasociados com
AOL: jmguardia  |   ICQ: 13293962  |   YAHOO: joseguardia
www.guardiasociados.com

------ End of Forwarded Message