Interesting People mailing list archives

more on further query to SMS availability during time when voice access may be limited by govt priority orders

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:12:46 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: paul foldes <pfoldes () interhelp com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 16:13:49 -0800
To: dave () farber net
Subject: IP further query to SMS availability during time when voice access
may be limited by govt priority orders

Dave, for IP, further re SMS availability during times when voice bandwidth
unduly burdened

IP members presumably are interested in the response I received to my query
re availaibility of SMS in US during a period when voice bandwidth
abnormally tasked.

The response below is one of two I received off list indicating that .. at
least based on European experience, SMS should work, though voice may be
unavailable readily in case of another terrorist attack.

However, I am still wondering whether in fact, anyone on IP list know
whether the US government's instructions to US cell operators, and cell
operators' system settings will allow for such sms bandwidth availabity in
the USl.

Given confusing recent pronouncements from US government I am comfortable
that those instructing cell operators either fully thought through the
dimensions of their voice/bandwidth priority orders to cell operators; ...
or that cell operators adequately provisioned their systems, as in Europe
apparently, allowing SMS to function adequately while voice side may be
unavailable to callers.

Hoping this inqujiry will alert government / cell operators to re-examine
and assure that they dont inadvertantly make matters worse by restricting
sms and ordinary user's access overly... as if such restriction had been in
place on 9/11 - passengers on flight 93 would not have timely received news
of what happened on the ground; and could not have timely averted a further
disaster

paul

------ End of Forwarded Message