Interesting People mailing list archives

Japanese National ID Number

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 16:58:51 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Naoki Yamamoto <naoki () matatabi com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 05:48:53 +0900
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Good news for IP, for a change

Mainichi Shinbun(a national newspaper) reports that some banks in
Japan have been using the eleven-digit National ID number as one of
the acceptable identifications when a customer opens an
account. Private corporations and organizations are banned from using
the National ID number. Only the national and local governments are
allowed to handle such personal information according to the basic
resident registry law. The banks may have violated the law.

The Ministry of Public Management, Home Affairs, Post and
Telecommunications has asked Japanese Bankers Association to stop
using the National ID number.

In a brochure that the association sent out its members last
September, the association listed the letter of notification of the
new National ID number as an acceptable official ID as good as
driver's license or passport.

http://www.mainichi.co.jp/news/flash/shakai/20030215k0000m040184000c.html
(Japanese)

[An ID number was assigned to each of Japan's 126 million citizens
last Summer when the government launched the computerized national
resident registry network. Many Japanese are uneasy about the new ID
system since there is no heavy penalty against the leakage of personal
data and no privacy bill to allow each individual to verify and
control his own data on the network. There have been some strong
protest against the network and some municipalities have not yet fully
participated in it. I live in one of those municipalities where the
residents can opt-out from the system. My wife and I have chosen to
withdraw our number. -naoki]

--
Naoki Yamamoto <naoki () matatabi com> in Yokohama, Japan
Matatabi Report:Japan Tech News Digest <http://www.matatabi.com>

------ End of Forwarded Message