Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Airline war use

From: David Farber <farber () tmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:38:41 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul E. Robichaux <paul () robichaux net>
To: dave () farber net
CC: gep2 () terabites com
Subject: RE: [IP] Airline war use
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:27:50 -0500

Sorry, but Gordon has gotten (and is disseminating) some bad information. A simple Google search would have turned up tons of information, especially
since the CRAF activation was publically announced yesterday.

American, United, Delta, and other major US carriers are part of the Civil
Reserve Air Fleet (CRAF), a government program that allows the USAF to
augment their airlift capacity in time of need. Originally established in 1951, the program is a tradeoff. Airlines who sign up become eligible to get
government contracts for airlift services-- one reference
(http://www.af.mil/news/factsheets/Civil_Reserve_Air_Fleet.html) indicates that in FY '99 the value of these contracts was at least US$345MM. In return, the airlines are subject to having a portion of their fleet called up for military transport use. A more up-to-date version of the same fact sheet is at http://public.amc.af.mil/library/facts/craffact.htm; it claims a minimum
contract value of US$394MM.

According to the Congressional Budget Office (CBO), CRAF has been routinely used since the Vietnam War, including to support US military or humanitarian
ops in Bosnia, Haiti, Panama, and Rwanda. See
http://www.cbo.gov/showdoc.cfm?index=11&sequence=9.

There is an interesting GAO report
(http://www.intellnet.org/documents/1200/010/1211.pdf) that suggests that while CRAF is still useful, it could use some tweaking to better match the US' military airlift requirements.In particular, some airlines don't get to play in the fairly lucrative cargo segment because they don't fly 747s.

The airlines *do* get paid for their CRAF airlift missions, according to
Chapter 931, US Code Title 10. See
http://www.access.gpo.gov/uscode/title10/subtitled_partiv_chapter931_.html.
In particular, section 9512 (b)(3) of that law says that contracts shall provide "that the contractor operating the aircraft for the Department of Defense shall be paid for that operation at fair and reasonable rates." In fact, the airlines' biggest worry appears to be whether too many aircraft will be called up-- they only get paid per flight hour, according to an LA
Times story by Esther Schrader, who wrote:

"The way the Pentagon has done this has been very responsive," said Ron Priddy, a spokesman for the National Air Carrier Association. "At this level of participation, I don't believe that any air carrier has been damaged,
particularly in light of what they will be paid, and assuming that the
Department of Defense will be able to use all the huge airlift that they have called up. The problem is whether these aircraft will sit because they have
been called up."

Cheers,
-Paul