Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Off-leash dog bites police officer: Owner is a terrorist

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:44:37 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Peter Jensen <pjensen () pollen com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:30:04 -0500
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Off-leash dog bites police officer: Owner is a terrorist

Ms. Calvin, who police said has been ticketed for leash violations in the
past, was booked on suspicion of making felony terrorist threats

Dave -

The phrase "terroristic threats" (and not "terrorist threats") has a long
established legal meaning, and this use of the phrase was probably quite
justified.  This does not mean the person charged was a "terrorist" as we
now understand that phrase, but rather that they fell within the legal
definition.

This legal phrase is not clearly understood by most folks, so I
understand the confusion.  Be very clear that I agree with the notion
that we are far too ready to label people today as terrorists who are
merely exercising freedoms that many people have fought and died for.
The animal rights fight in Texas is a better example.

Peter Jensen

------ End of Forwarded Message