Interesting People mailing list archives

more on computers in the classroom, boondoggle or real tool?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 18:54:56 -0500

Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 08:25:15 +0900
From: Adam Peake <ajp () glocom ac jp>
Subject: Re: [IP] computers in the classroom, boondoggle or real tool?
To: dave () farber net

{{{Dave, from last week, but if you could send to IP list?  Thanks. Adam}}}

Dave,

Interesting reaction to the recent IP note about computers in the classroom. Bob's book is a good read, review from Salon here <http://archive.salon.com/tech/books/2003/10/01/johnstone/print.html>

Thanks,

Adam

Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 08:26:28 +1100
From: Bob Johnstone <bjstone () bigpond net au>
To: Adam Peake <ajp () glocom ac jp>

Thanks for this, Adam.  It is really extraordinary that we can still be
having this essentially uninformed debate about the effectiveness of
computers in 2003.  In my recent book, Never Mind the Laptops:  Kids,
Computers, and the Transformation of Learning, I try to raise the bar
by going over the history of computers in the classroom, then looking
at the most successful examples of learning with laptops, most notably
at schools here in Melbourne.  For further details, see also my website
<http://www.nevermindthelaptops.com>.

Cheers,

Bob