Interesting People mailing list archives

Common sense re "Cheap VoIP"

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 19:25:40 -0400

I srongly agree with Dave

Dave
\

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 19:20:34 -0400
From: Dave Burstein <dave () dslprime com>
Subject: Common sense re "Cheap VoIP"
To: dave () farber net

Dave

The problem with regulating VOIP is that there's no good definition that doesn't include AOL Instant Messenger, Windows XP (which has a built in SIP phone), any cheap video conferencing system, and even the voice enabled multiplayer games coming on PlayStations and XBox. All enable cheap voice calls between people with computers, or a connection via a voice gateway anywhere in the world to actual phones. It's working great. Does Minnesota, as you just reported, really expect Microsoft, AOL, and Creative Labs in Singapore (videoconference) to register as a phone company?

3,000,000 people in Japan are making free calls to each other two cent per minute calls to telephones in the United States. Yahoo BB is growing so fast incumbent NTT is now offering a similar service. In France, the large ISP Free.fr includes unlimited free calls to any wireline telephone in France if you buy their 30 euro DSL service. This is really exciting stuff, working so well it is changing the phone business around the world. I spent an hour on the phone recently with a senior tech at Bell Canada, then asked him if I was on my Verizon landline or my Vonage phone plugged into my broadband router. He guessed landline - I was on Voice over IP. I carried that unit with me to Germany last year, and called all over the states.

So how can Minnesota effectively regulate an IP lookup service, perhaps based in Rio de Janeiro but telling my computer in New York or Saint Paul the current dynamic IP of Dave Farber's computer in Pittsburgh or Minneapolis? That's all Free World Dialup, Jeff Pulver's service really is. I pick up a SIP phone, it queries over the net to FWD for the current location of Dave Farber's SIP phone, and lets us connect directly. Like a domain name service, it takes very few resources and 50,000 people connect for free already. Simple gateways, located anywhere, can also connect you right to the regular phone network. (For the record, I do a conference in the Spring with Jeff.)

I strongly support universal phone service and the internet for schools and libraries. But there is enormous waste in the current system, including a multi million dollar contract in Florida to Jeb Bush's campaign manager to "privatize" the school network in the state. Most USF dollars go to a handful of states where the subsidy makes the local phone service so profitable investment bankers rush in to fund line buyouts. There are FCC and Congressional proceedings ongoing to locate the ripoffs, and they're only scraping the surface.

Before we cripple a key internet service, let's go after that waste first. Anyone who thinks the real USF problem is a few percent of calls over the net is either informed or a lying hypocrite trying to kill competition. Let's get real here.

Dave Burstein

Editor, DSL Prime & Telecom Insider
Co-author DSL: A Wiley Tech Brief (February 2002), Journalism in the Internet Age (forthcoming) Special correspondent, The Personal Computer Show, WBAI-99.5FM, Three time winner of Best Radio Show ,Computer Press Association