Interesting People mailing list archives

-- more on -- Ann Coulter's skewed view of patriotism

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:52:28 -0400

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 06:50:21 -0700
From: Vaughan Pratt <pratt () CS Stanford EDU>
Subject: Re: Ann Coulter's skewed view of patriotism
To: dave () farber net

Dave,

I'm sorry, but Cliff Schecter's clearly well-intentioned effort at
dissecting Coulter has all the benefits of spectranalyzing mud -- useful
if something good ever shows up in the spectrum but otherwise a pointless
academic exercise.

That the particular composition of the mud Coulter slings has a pH of 2
going on 1 is beside the point of its being basically just mud.  I recently
bought her 2002 book "Slander" hoping for some constructive insights into
failings of the left.  Instead I found a very pure kind of hatred directed
to the left that one imagines the Martians in H.G. Wells' "War of the Worlds"
must have felt for earthlings.

The benefit of reading Coulter is insight not into the faults of the left but
rather into a stereotype of the alien thought processes driving conservative
thinking today.

A more productive exercise would be to dissect not Coulter but her
readership.  A better understanding of why her work sells at all might
for example help NSF make its case for more funding more effectively in
the present heavily conservative climate on Capitol Hill.

Two months ago I chaired a subcommittee as part of a committee reviewing
an NSF division.  The basic conclusion of my subcommittee, and a sentiment
also voiced by other subcommittees, was that NSF was doing the best job it
could dividing up too little money among too many promising researchers.
And that's in computer science --- pity the impoverished historians!

The anti-intellectual climate that goes with the conservative territory served
by Coulter is eroding America's ability to think straight.  This is neither
a new nor a permanent phenomenon, but rather comes in waves.  Each time the
tide of anti-intellectualism rolls in, instead of railing at it like King
Canute, those of us seeking the harmony of the universe should be asking
how it works, how to live with it, and even how to extract benefit from it
until it rolls back out again, which it will do in due course with all the
reliability of the moon in its orbit.

Until then, we need to understand Coulter's audience, not Coulter.

Vaughan Pratt