Interesting People mailing list archives

"Bahrain Takes Swipe Into The Future With New Smart ID Cards"

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:29:23 -0400

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:15:48 +0100
From: "mo () mo md" <mo () mo md>
Subject: "Bahrain Takes Swipe Into The Future With New Smart ID Cards"
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>

Dear Dave,
for IP if you wish. Last year Bahrain, my country, had its first
democratic elections in 30 years. It's interesting but a little scary
that the government is considering having these smart cards ready for
use for the next set of elections.

mohammad

Dr Mohammad Al-Ubaydli
e mo () mo md
w www.mo.md

<http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=1390
0098>

Residents of the Gulf kingdom will be able to use the cards for
business and politics, including voting in municipal and
parliamentary elections.
By The Associated Press

MANAMA, Bahrain (AP) -- The Gulf kingdom of Bahrain is planning a
giant swipe into the future with a new smart ID card that citizens
can use for business and politics.

The tender for the project was launched Tuesday. Bahraini officials
envision a photo ID card with a 64-kilobyte microchip holding the
card holder's name, address, national identification number, digital
fingerprints and driver's license, passport, medical, financial and
educational data.

Users will be able to pay bills, withdraw cash, transfer money check
their bank balances and conduct Internet transactions with a swipe of
the card, and use the same card to votes in municipal and
parliamentary elections.

"We truly believe that this is going to improve and change things
dramatically," Sheik Ahmed bin Ateyatella Al Khalifa, undersecretary
of the Central Informatic Organization, told reporters Tuesday.

The cards will become available early next year and officials hope
most of the kingdom's approximately 600,000 people will have one by
2005, when the next municipal elections are planned. The next
parliamentary elections are in 2006.

Most Bahrainis used ID cards with bar-code like stripes to cast their
votes in parliamentary elections last October. The new cards will
carry more data than those cards.

"We believe that we have a good infrastructure to leap forward," said
Sheik Ahmed, adding that the kingdom is adopting the technology after
"looking and learning from the experience of countries in Europe and
the Far East."