Interesting People mailing list archives

-- more on -- "DVD-copying code loses free speech shield"

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:39:29 -0400

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:11:57 -0400
From: Rick Adams <Rick.Adams () Cello Net>

That is not a fair summary of the ruling (which I just finished reading)

If says that IF the code is trade secret, then the first amendment does not give anyone the
right to post it online.

They make it very clear that they are assuming as fact that the code is trade secret and that
their opinion is very narrow.

They also make clear that there is some question as to whether the code is still trade secret
and remand it to the appeals.

Quote from the conclusion of the opinion:

Our decision today is quite limited. We merely hold that the preliminary injunction does not violate the free speech clauses of the United States and California Constitutions, ASSUMING [italics in original] the trial court properly issued
the     injunction
under California's trade secret law. On remand, the Court of Appeal should
        determine the validity of this assumption.

http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/dvd/dvdccabnnr82503opn.pdf if you want to read the actual
decision.