Interesting People mailing list archives

-- more on -- THE ULTIMATE SPAM-KILLER: MORE SPAM?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:11:38 -0400

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:43:56 -0700
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

[Note:  This comment comes from reader Steve Schear.  DLH]

Cc: dewayne () warpspeed com
From: Steve Schear <s.schear () comcast net>
To: dennis.berman () wsj com
Subject: Re: [Dewayne-Net] THE ULTIMATE SPAM-KILLER: MORE SPAM?
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:38:08 -0700

At 10:49 AM 8/25/2003 -0700, you wrote:

THE ULTIMATE SPAM-KILLER: MORE SPAM?

Like futile attacks against the evil monster in a horror flick, recent
efforts to "kill" spam have only served to make it stronger, says FTC spam
expert Brian Huseman. All those fancy blocking systems create a "perverse
result, that spammers send out even more messages to make sure a certain
number are received." And, incredibly, *some* of the spam-mail must produce
results

We
desperately need a campaign of education and downright social coercion to
stop people from cooperating with purveyors of new septic tanks and body
'enhancement' products". We can all do our part: Never use [spam-mail] to
buy products.

Actually, I've purchased a few products from spam. I was especially intrigued by foreign drug distributors offering me American made pharmaceutical at great discounts, or drugs sold over-the-counter there that are prescriptive here (I bought Claritan at 1/4 the U.S. price last year before it became over-the-counter here). The Internet is a natural for enabling jurisdictional arbitrage. I support a person's right to self-medicate.

Don't even click on a Web link contained in a spam because it
tags you as a live e-mail address. And keep your address off public Web
pages, where it could be scooped up and used to bombard you with
solicitations. In the meantime, those struggling to clean a clogged mailbox
can get satisfaction from that hopeful image of the spam business
collapsing under its own weight, with spammers spamming other spammers to a
painful spamming demise." (Wall Street Journal 25 Aug 2003)

Despite a continuing clamor in the popular press, I fail to see why spam should be banned (at least in the U.S.). IMHO, its protected speech. It should be treated no different, legally, than 4th class (junk) mail which I sometimes read if I'm looking for a sale on a particular product or local service. The fact that it costs us time to deal with is little different than physical mail. The fact that it costs us some small amount to download (as an amortization of our monthly ISP costs) is again a red herring.

Spam persists because it works. After word-of-mouth, its the cheapest form of marketing ever invented. Its especially useful for small/guerilla businesses with unusual offers or products. Traditional channels would be way too expensive. Companies with well established branding generally have little interest in it. Spam is the great equalizer between the very small and the very large.

As the article states, there are practical things you can do to limit your exposure to spam, but most Netizens are ignorant or lazy and fail to do so. (I rarely get more than a few spams per day.) The noise surrounding spam email seems like just another case of people demanding government step in to protect them against their own stupidity and in doing so limit the freedom of others.

steve

A foolish Constitutional inconsistency is the hobgoblin of freedom, adored by judges and demagogue statesmen.
- Steve Schear

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net>
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>