Interesting People mailing list archives

-- more on -- so what will we do to avoid another mass attack on the "net"

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 03:39:19 -0400

Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:38:49 -0700
From: Todd Meister <todd () lmi net>
Subject: Re: [IP] so what will we do to avoid another mass attack on the "net"
Sender: drtboi () bitslinger net
To: dave () farber net

Dave Farber writes:
>...just what will we do to avoid the chaos that the
>next one and the next next one will generate.

I haven't seen an instance of the worm in my mailbox since Thursday.  I am an
admin at a small ISP, and though the other admin and I share approximately the
same level of skills, they don't match up exactly.  For instance, I am much
more comfortable reaching into the guts of our sendmail system and rearranging
things in our config files.  I mention this because I was out on vacation
when all this started, and didn't really get back to work until Thursday
morning.

When I got back, I had hundreds of copies of the worm sitting in my mailbox.
Thursday morning, our mail servers started choking under the strain of all the
worms coming through, as they had choked the previous two days, only worse.
The worm started causing secondary outages (pop3, for instance), and the number
of processes on our mail servers (which also perform other tasks) was coming
dangerously close to crashing them.  In desperation, as the other admin
grepped and destroyed worms within the mail queue, I added a very simple
rule to our sendmail config file, one suggested by a member of the spam-l
list.  The rule simply doesn't allow mail clients who connect with a single
token EHLO/HELO to send mail.  Because of the way most windows mail clients
work, we couldn't use this on our outgoing, customer-use SMTP servers, but
we use it on all our MX and customer MX boxes.  Only a very small portion of
actual mail servers in use on the internet are broken to the point that they
send single token EHLO/HELOs, but this one rule completely stopped the
Sobig flood.

We spent the rest of the day draining the backup mail queue until our servers
overloaded again, stopping sendmail, then starting over. Several hours later,
things were back to just slightly busier than normal. Slightly busier because
our mail server was busily rejecting Sobig connection attempts.

Right now, we're blocking about 20-30% of all incoming messages through this
ruleset.  Of course, some of these are from poorly-written spam bulkmailers,
too, but like I said, I haven't seen a single worm in my inbox since I
implemented this rule on Thursday, and I was getting well over 100/day the
previous two days.

Obviously, this is a temporary fix.  Sobig could be very easily rewritten to
give a proper HELO.  And blocking bad HELOs is considered poor conduct, since
so many old, misconfigured, or windows-based mail clients use them. But maybe
if the larger, less standards-interested software companies would start to
work at playing better with the rest of the internet, and adhering to the
standards developed by those older and wiser, these minor internet
catastrophies could be avoided.  I mean, from what I understand, part of the
way this worm was able to spread so quickly was Microsoft's distaste for
following best practices in regards to email attachments.

And if these companies continue to think with their marketing departments,
perhaps all those affected by them need to take at least temporary action, such
as our solution to the worm, or perhaps defanging all incoming attachments.

-Todd