Interesting People mailing list archives

Vonage forbids dirty talk with your wife

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:29:23 -0400

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:16:50 -0700
From: Brad Templeton <brad () templetons com>
Subject: Vonage forbids dirty talk with your wife
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: jeff () pulver com

I've been a reasonably satisified Vonage Voice-over-IP customer, though
I think the focus too much on being just like a regular telco for
my tastes.

However, in looking at changing my service, I actually went and read
their most recent terms of service.  Here's what I found...

    1.3.1 Prohibited Uses:
    You agree to use the Service and Device only for lawful purposes.
    This means that you agree not to use them for transmitting or
    receiving any illegal, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing,
    defamatory, obscene, sexually explicit, profane, racially or
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ethnically disparaging remarks or otherwise objectionable material of
    any kind, including but not limited to any material that encourages
    conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to
    a civil liability, or otherwise violate any applicable local,
    state, national or international law. Vonage reserves the right
    to terminate your service immediately and without advance notice
    if Vonage, in its sole discretion, believes that you have violated
    the above restrictions, leaving you responsible for the full month's
    charges to the end of the current term, including without limitation
    unbilled charges, plus a disconnect fee, all of which immediately
    become due and payable.  You are liable for any and all use of the
    Service and/or Device by any person making use of the Service or
    Device provided to you.  If Vonage, in its sole discretion believes
    that you have violated the above restrictions, Vonage may forward the
    objectionable material, as well as your communications with Vonage
    and your personally identifiable information to the appropriate
    authorities for investigation and prosecution.

We've gotten used to such lawyerish language in a lot of online
contracts for things like web hosting and message boards that
are exposed to the public.   But now it's suggested that to get
a phone, you should agree not to talk dirty on it, or tell ethnic
jokes, or let anybody who you let use the phone do so?  Give rise
to a civil liability?  We all do that every day.

Now, I realize that Vonage has not been granted common carrier
status, and may not even have applied.  It's an Enhanced Services
Provider.   But I would hope there is something we could do about
this sort of "legal creep" where EULAs forbid everything the lawyer's
can think of.

I'm not even sure why they want the ability to cut off your phone if
you talk dirty on it.  I can see them wanting to avoid any liability
on themselves for your illegal actions.   A simple, "You agree not
to use or allow the phone to be used to violate applicable law" should
have done the trick.