Interesting People mailing list archives

Algorithms Key to Cheap Air Fare (Wired)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 18:17:01 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: GLIGOR1 () aol com
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 12:15:50 -0400 (EDT)
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Fwd: Algorithms Key to Cheap Air Fare (Wired)

------ End of Forwarded Message

--- Begin Message --- From: Wdimitr () aol com
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 12:09:38 EDT
Algorithms Key to Cheap Air Fare

By Louise Knapp

Story location: http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,58353,00.html

02:00 AM Apr. 09, 2003 PT

Buying an airline ticket can be a nail-biting dilemma: buy now or hold off in
the hope that prices will
drop?

A new computer program, aptly named Hamlet, seeks to answer the question "to
buy, or not to
buy?" by predicting when air fares will be at their cheapest.

Airlines are renowned for raising and lowering fares in what seems to be a
random fashion. But,
according to Hamlet's creator Oren Etzioni, computer science professor at the
University of
Washington, there is a method in the seeming madness.

Etzioni said price variations are governed by algorithms developed by the
airlines and kept as closely
guarded trade secrets. "The airlines have a bunch of high-powered consultants
who work with them
to figure out the algorithm in the back room."

Hamlet works by studying past trends in price variation and establishing the
patterns. These are then
used to predict future price variations.

"We have data-mining algorithms that run over past ticket prices available on
the Web, and we find
patterns and make predictions from these patterns," Etzioni said. "These
suggest when the prices will
fall and when they will rise."

To test the program, Etzioni fed Hamlet data from two nonstop flights over a
41-day period. One of
these flights was from Los Angeles to Boston, the other Seattle to
Washington, D.C. The data
included six airlines on the routes.

"We started out by collecting data on prices from a large number of sites
every three hours, a total of
eight times throughout the day," Etzioni said. "The prices don't change every
minute, so searching for
this data several times a day is sufficient."

Hamlet proved very good at predicting the price variations, saving 607
simulated passengers a total
of $283,904 on airline fares by advising when to buy and when to postpone
purchases.

Persuading the public of the program's worth may, however, be this Hamlet's
fatal flaw.

"What if they're wrong?" said Carol Jouzaitis, vice president for corporate
communications with
Orbitz. "They can't see into the future. I am not sure that Orbitz would be
happy to support that --
it's a risky proposition."

Sheryl Temple, public affairs manager for Horizon Air, agreed. "There are so
many variables that
cannot be measured that determine air fares. I cannot even tell you what the
fares are going to be
next week."

Travel agents appear equally skeptical.

"Trying to predict the price of airline tickets is like trying to predict the
weather in San Francisco --
you never know what it will be. It depends on so many factors," said Nancy
Cathcart, travel agent
with Buenaventura Travel, based in San Francisco.

Brad Hudson, manager of Travel Zone, another San Francisco agency, agreed. "I
would be really
skeptical as to how a software program could tell when a ticket was going to
be cheaper, so I would
have to be convinced, and then I would want to develop this for other things
too -- to predict the
outcome of horse racing, for example," he said.

Etzioni is convinced, however, that Hamlet will prove its worth.

"Price changes are not random at all," he said. "They only appear highly
unpredictable to people who
haven't studied the pattern, but airlines operate on these algorithms. They
are complicated, but the
behavior is highly predictable."

William Maloney, executive vice president and operating officer of the
American Society of Travel
Agents, agreed, but brought up another possible problem.

"If the airlines knew they were being tracked, they could counter-program
these to fool the system,"
he said.

Etzioni, however, said if the airlines started playing with the prices to
trick Hamlet, they might also
deviate from patterns devised to sell as many tickets as possible and, in
turn, lower their chances of
selling a ticket.

Etzioni's next step is to look at different kinds of flights, including
business fares, international flights
and multileg flights.

"Multileg flights will be complicated, as their price depends on more than
one leg of the journey --
but we will be able, with more research, to predict these, too," he said.

Etzioni said Hamlet will be ready to make its debut in a year.

.

© Copyright 2003, Lycos, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

--- End Message ---