Interesting People mailing list archives

(do reqd end) for the conspiracy theorists among us...

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 15:38:26 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Tim Finin <finin () cs umbc edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 15:23:53 -0500
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: for the conspiracy theorists among us...

I never go to our University library anymore.  It it's not
available online, then I'm too busy or lazy to bother.  The
risk in this situation is that it's all too easy to make
material vanish from the online world.

This quote has been bouncing around the internet for a while
and cited many times by people in various media:

   "While we hoped that popular revolt would topple Saddam, we
   did not wish to see the breakup of the Iraqi
   state. Extending the war into Iraq would have incurred
   incalculable human and political costs. We would have been
   forced to occupy Baghdad and, in effect, rule Iraq. The
   coalition would instantly have collapsed, the Arabs
   deserting in anger and other allies pulling out as
   well. Unilaterally exceeding the U.N.'s mandate would have
   destroyed the precedent of international response to
   aggression we hoped to establish. Had we gone the invasion
   route, the U.S. could still be an occupying power in a
   bitterly hostile land."
   -- From "Why We Didn't Remove Saddam" by George Bush and Brent
      Scowcroft, Time Magazine, March 2, 1998, page 31

I wanted to read the entire article and tried to find it,
with limited success.  Many internet citations of this quote
give a URL [1] for the article, but accessing this link
produces a page that says

   "Error -- Page Not Found.  The page you've requested has been
   moved or taken off the site.  We apologize for the inconvenience."

and suggests using their search engine, which I tried
without success.  The archive search site [2] says "search
all issues of TIME Magazine since 1985 for perspectives on
news, people and events." implying that *all* of their
content since 1985 is online.

Googling revealed *one* web page [3] and *one* newsgroup
message [4] (in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh no less!) that seem to
contain the text of this article, modulo some editing.

So, I'm wondering if this article did really appear in Time.
If it did, was it ever available online?  Is it was, when
was it removed? If it was removed, why?

A friend checked an academic journal database which had the
citation for the article but not the full text, along with
the message:

   "This database normally includes full text of articles
   available from this publication. However, this particular
   article is not included at the request of the rights holder."

Time directs us to send questions about their online content
to daily () pathfinder com and I've inquired about this missing
article, but have not yet received a reply.

--

[1]
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/1998/dom/980302/special_report.clintons_29

------ End of Forwarded Message