Interesting People mailing list archives

Bruce Springsteen statement on The Dixie Chicks

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 12:49:42 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Wong, Brian" <brianwong () dwt com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:40:38 -0700
To: "'Farber, Dave'" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Bruce Springsteen statement on The Dixie Chicks

Dave, this may be of interest.  Springsteen didn't need to say this - and it
probably would be better for him if he didn't - but I'm glad he did.

Another point to be gleaned from this is that the consolidation of radio
station ownership allows much more effective control over radio programming.
While the radio ownership battle has already been fought, and FCC's current
media ownership proceeding is considering all broadcast ownership rules:
the Broadcast-Newspaper Cross-Ownership Rule; the Local Radio Ownership
Rule; the Television-Radio Cross-Ownership Rule; the Dual Network Rule; the
Local Television Ownership Rule; and the National Television Ownership Rule.

- Brian -

4/22/03: A Comment from Bruce Springsteen
<http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html>
The Dixie Chicks have taken a big hit lately for exercising their basic
right to express themselves. To me, they're terrific American artists
expressing American values by using their American right to free speech. For
them to be banished wholesale from radio stations, and even entire radio
networks, for speaking out is un-American.

The pressure coming from the government and big business to enforce
conformity of thought concerning the war and politics goes against
everything that this country is about - namely freedom. Right now, we are
supposedly fighting to create freedom in Iraq, at the same time that some
are trying to intimidate and punish people for using that same freedom here
at home.

I don't know what happens next, but I do want to add my voice to those who
think that the Dixie Chicks are getting a raw deal, and an un-American one
to boot. I send them my support.

------ End of Forwarded Message