Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Court Hears Fight Over Numbers Used for Cellphones

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 04:44:27 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Frankston [mailto:bob2 () bobf frankston com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 11:22
To: dave () farber net; 'ip'

Once again, I'm making very simple statements that come across as outrageous
because of the bigger lie that there is a
telecommunications industry.

Simply think about a low speed bit stream going over the IP infrastructure.
Now compare it with the cost of a dedicated wire for each call and a lot of
electromechanical gear and equipment designed to limit
the quality. Once you are used to wide pipes on the Internet the very idea
of installed and using a separate wire for each
connection is too silly to even think about. Yet the reverse, replacing all
of the wires with a few fibers of glass and the
electro-mechanical gear with a few nanometers of semiconductor seems just as
outrageous because factors of trillion to one cost
savings are just not part of people's normal experience, especially those
charged with the serious responsibility of setting policy.

After all, how could one seriously challenge the grandeur of a regional toll
switch with floor and floors of relays chattering away
and translation machines running quickly through decks of metal punched
cards? The reality is that we have indeed replaced
essentially all of the mechanical gear with digital emulations via SS7. But
the new technology is invisible and thus doesn't
displace our older images of relays chattering away. Think about the movies
that showed whirling tape drives long after they stopped
being relevant to computing because they were more "visual"

The term "number portability" is nothing but scam and a lie.

The idea that a phone company (or, still "the phone company") gets a call to
a number and then must translate it a fraud perpetrated
on those stuck with very bad metaphors.

The number is FIRST translated and so they call can be directed. Rather than
calling this "number portability" we should recognize
that the bug is that the FCC bequeaths the numbers on the carriers who then
lease them to users.

Instead we should view the numbers as public assets being provided directly
to the users or, perhaps, loaned to the carriers as
custodians for the users. Even better if we go to an ownership model and
people own the numbers for as long as they want. We can
lease the numbers since there are, in the NANP (North American Numbering
Plan) only 10 digits available which means that we 10^10 or
ten billion numbers available we can't afford to squander such a limited
supply (I now, there are less available thanks to
inefficiencies such as reserving aaa-Klondike-5-nnnn). A few pennies per
month can raise a lot of money to cover any administrative
expenses and cost of maintain the history museum for all the old switching
gear and the EPA superfund for the lead-acid batteries
littering the landscape.

The hording of numbers and using them to keep customers hostage is a serious
abuse of public trust. Claiming that number portability
is difficult when it takes effort to assure that the existing translation
tables are not used for the purpose (and, perhaps,
engineered for the purpose of frustrating
portability) is fraud even if it is done by carefully avoiding any
implementation that might accidentally provide full portability.
But there is clear intent to make the process much more difficult than it
need be.

In fact, 500 numbers were simply a form of portability that, unlike 800
numbers, had the caller pay. The bug was that rather than
being local everywhere, it is "long distance" everywhere. But since there
isn't any distance sensitivity to the cost (especially for
the cellular system), we are talking about systems that have no other
purpose than the creation and maintenance of billable
entities. Accounting models can be used to create rationales for these
charges but they are just models. It helps to maintain an
efficient PSTN fabric in order to take advantage of the popular image of
phone calls going through wires through switches in order
to give the abstract models the patina of physicality.

I can't help going on to one more thought -- the 800/500 asymmetry goes away
if we have the caller taking responsibility for the
local portion. Right now pay phones have a special charge for 800 number
usage in an attempt to patch a patch upon a patch upon a
patch. Why not just have an explicit and transparent charge for use of the
instrument and not tie it to the accidental properties of
the fictional price of the call itself.

Once again, transparency is a threat -- after all, the clothes for this
emperor have to be opaque otherwise we'd realize there is no
emperor.