Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Rumsfeld's comments

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 17:23:15 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Hiawatha Bray <watha () monitortan com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:56:40 -0400
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Rumsfeld's comments

Cry me a river.

Don't get me wrong. I too am sorry about the plundering of the museum.  But
for goodness' sake.  Rumsfeld and our troops were ever so slightly busy just
then, with little details like fighting a war.  If certain  residents of
Baghdad picked that moment to go on a rampage of thievery, it's hardly the
fault of the US.

I'd concede that someone should have thought of this possibility and sent a
couple of tanks over there.  But they didn't.  Oops.

By the by, the sack of this museum is but a fleabite compared to the vast
amounts of priceless European art and architecture ravaged during WWII.  I
don't recall George Marshall, Dwight Eisenhower or Harry Truman shedding any
tears over it.  I think their attitude was much the same as Rumsfeld.  As
the man himself put it, "stuff happens."

Hiawatha Bray
Boston Globe

------ End of Forwarded Message