Interesting People mailing list archives

a rebuttal of a rebuttel Security Biz Thrives on Fear

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 17:14:30 -0400

Do read the software part . Djf

------ Forwarded Message
From: Joel M Snyder <Joel.Snyder () Opus1 COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:52:06 -0700
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, alberti () sanction net
Subject: Re: [IP] a rebuttel Security Biz Thrives on Fear

I guess I'd like to comment on the rebuttal.  I am not disagreeing with
Alberti's point; in fact, I agree that denial is a big issue.  But I
would contend that there is a line here and my experience is that
security people cross it rather more frequently in the "fear factor"
department than I would prefer.

I wrote a very short essay on this a few days ago which Network World
will be publishing soon.  Here is the unedited version:

Risk analysis.  It sounds obscure, but we do it all the time.  Decide to
cross the street, and you¹re performing risk analysis.  It also turns
out that we¹re pretty bad at analyzing risk.   This explains, in part,
how so many people get hurt crossing the road.  A lot of research has
gone into figuring out why we do such a poor job, and it turns out there
are lots of reasons.  Sometimes you don¹t have all the information.
Sometimes you have the information, and ignore it.  And many times you
don¹t understand the potential consequences of different courses of
action.   The bottom line is that risk analysis and risk management
often go awry.

In the world of enterprise networks, we are under a barrage of
information about risk.  Every day, we hear news about some security
problems lurking on our networks, and we¹re urged to fix them
immediately.  When we deal with that information, we¹re performing risk
analysis.   When we run out and install every security patch we read
about, we¹re performing poor risk analysis.

Every major software vendor maintains a "security alert" mailing list,
and if you¹re a conscientious network manager, you subscribe to the ones
most relevant to you.  But  dozens of other mailing lists and web sites
are also dedicated to making security patch information available in a
timely way.  Network World runs one, edited by Jason Meserve.   Last
weekend, I learned about a business, Threat Focus, selling customized
security alerts.

One factor which contributes to poor risk analysis is having too much
awareness of a problem.  Get hypersensitized about an issue, like
security threats, and you¹re bound to react in a way disproportionate
and uncalled for by the real facts of the situation.  We¹re not just
inundated with security information: we¹re overwhelmed by it.  This sets
us up to make poor decisions.

The reality of today¹s software development life cycle is that full
production releases don¹t come out bug-free.   What does this mean for
quickly made, poorly tested, security patches?  They¹re as likely to
have bugs, if not more so.  Microsoft, because it releases so many
patches, has hit the news with reports of updates that made things
worse, but they¹re not alone.  A few weeks ago, Apple introduced 10.2.4,
a bug-and-security patch to their OS X operating system.  People who
installed it suddenly discovered problems with their power management
and PPP stacks.  Anyone can make these errors.

The complexity of systems, the difficulty of doing good quality
assurance, and the rush to push products out as quickly as possible has
put us all on an upgrade-and-patch treadmill.  Experienced network
managers know, however, that patching a working system is often worse
than leaving it alone.  The old saying, "if it ain¹t broke, don¹t fix
it," has become firmly ingrained.

Why, then, do we throw normal caution and good business sense out the
window when it comes to security patches?  Our normal strategies of
testing, containment, and problem avoidance disappear and are replaced
by prevention and anticipatory self-defense.    A company I work with
rushed last week to react to the most recent sendmail security patch and
ended up trashing their email system---this for a bug which had, as its
worse effect, the potential to crash the mail handling process and
require a restart.

The bug hunters are also partially to blame.  The notoriety of
discovering a problem means that there is an incentive to blow the
threat out of proportion.  Any unchecked buffer copy is automatically
described as a way for "a third party to potentially gain control of the
system," even if the likelihood of this being true is infinitesimal.
All security, all encryption, all authentication,  is based on
probabilities, and one factor contributing to poor risk analysis is
failing to pay attention to the probability of a risk actually becoming
a problem.

A recent paper from security researchers at Stanford showed how it is
possible in some implementations of OpenSSL to recover the private key
from the outside.  It¹s innovative and interesting research, and it will
help to make cryptographic software better.  But it also requires a
system with a gigaHertz precision clock to be sitting less than a
millisecond away from the server being attacked.  The attack is, in
fact, impractical and impossible over the Internet.  But this didn¹t
keep system managers all over the Internet from updating their OpenSSL
code.  One of those companies is one of our clients, and we spent
several days trying to figure out why an OpenSSL-based application they
were building wouldn¹t work.  The answer turned out to be a change in
the behavior of OpenSSL which they hadn¹t noticed when an eager system
manager upgraded the library during development.

I¹m not saying that patching systems is a bad idea.  What I want is for
my fellow network managers to step back a second and do a real risk
analysis on these perceived threats.  Is the cure, in fact, worse than
the disease?

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Phone: +1 520 324 0494 (voice)  +1 520 324 0495 (FAX)

------ End of Forwarded Message