Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Rumsfeld's comments

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:22:07 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Kobrin, Steve" <KobrinS () wharton upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:16:45 -0400
To: "'dave () farber net'" <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Rumsfeld's comments

To make things worse, Fox News followed Rumsfeld's comments with a tape of
two smiling Iraqis walking out of a building with vases.  To get the full
comic effect they ran the tape forwards and backwards several time like an
old Keystone Cops movie.  BBC World Service later that evening ran a
devastating story on looting and chaos in Baghdad and led into Rumsfeld's
Vase comments by saying something to the effect of " now lets see what the
American Secretary of Defense thinks about all of this."

At the time I thought that the Vase comment was the most cold-blooded and
cynical dismissal of massive human suffering I had heard in a long time.  At
least Lenin had the honesty to say that you cannot make an omelet  without
breaking eggs.  Has any major U.S. paper or network picked this up in an
editorial?  Is there anything what-so-ever left of an opposition press in
the United States?  If Administration officials can call night day without
any media comment what-so-ever we are living in an Orwellian age.

Steve Kobrin

------ End of Forwarded Message