Interesting People mailing list archives

The Time quote is legimate (verified) (was Re: (do reqd end) for the conspiracy theorists among us...)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 11:49:33 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Brent J. Nordquist" <brent () nordist net>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 10:17:15 -0600 (CST)
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: The Time quote is legimate (verified) (was Re: [IP] (do reqd end)
for the conspiracy theorists among us...)

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Dave Farber <dave () farber net> wrote:

   "While we hoped that popular revolt would topple Saddam, we
   did not wish to see the breakup of the Iraqi
   state. Extending the war into Iraq would have incurred
   incalculable human and political costs. We would have been
   forced to occupy Baghdad and, in effect, rule Iraq. The
   coalition would instantly have collapsed, the Arabs
   deserting in anger and other allies pulling out as
   well. Unilaterally exceeding the U.N.'s mandate would have
   destroyed the precedent of international response to
   aggression we hoped to establish. Had we gone the invasion
   route, the U.S. could still be an occupying power in a
   bitterly hostile land."
   -- From "Why We Didn't Remove Saddam" by George Bush and Brent
      Scowcroft, Time Magazine, March 2, 1998, page 31

I went to the library (I work at a college) and found this article in the
specified issue on the specified page.  The above quote is missing some
"[...]" notations (it is excerpting from the article, taking sentences
over a longer passage, modifying word forms etc.) but the substance is a
faithful quote of the original.

The Time article says at the bottom "From 'A World Transformed' by George
Bush and Brent Scowcroft, to be published by Alfred A. Knopf Inc.", so it
looks like it in turn is an excerpt from that book.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <brent () nordist net> N0BJN
Other contact information: http://www.nordist.net/contact.html

------ End of Forwarded Message