Interesting People mailing list archives

Segway Gives an Easy Ride, But It's the Best on Sidewalks

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 21:02:51 -0400

From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
Subject: Segway Gives an Easy Ride, But It's the Best on Sidewalks
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 18:05:03 -0700

April 10, 2003

Segway Gives an Easy Ride, But It's the Best on Sidewalks

By WALTER S. MOSSBERG

I took a drive the other day through downtown Washington, D.C. I
started at Lafayette Park, across the street from the White House,
and made my way up busy Connecticut Avenue to DuPont Circle. I
continued down several streets to The Wall Street Journal's
Washington bureau. I drove right through the lobby and into an
elevator. Emerging on an upper floor, I sailed straight into the
newsroom, maneuvering around cubicles and other obstacles.

All along the way, people smiled and pointed and shouted
encouragement and questions. Many asked for rides on the unusual
vehicle I was driving, the new Segway Human Transporter -- an
electrically powered, two-wheel, self-balancing superscooter that is
to the sidewalk what a Lexus is to the road.

The Segway has been the subject of more hype and speculation than any
other recent technology product. Starting well before it was ready
for production, when it was code-named Ginger, it prompted wild
stories claiming it would change the world.

Its specs are impressive. The Segway can go up to 12.5 miles an hour
and travel 10 to 15 miles on a single charge of its batteries, which
can be recharged overnight via a standard electrical outlet.
Controlling the thing involves little more than leaning forward
slightly to move forward, and leaning backward to back up. It's so
easy to balance you can stand in one spot without effort, and turn
360 degrees in place by just twisting the handgrip.

But how does it work in real life? Is it worth the $4,950 price? To
find out, we conducted an extended hands-on review. For the past
couple of weeks, my assistant, Katie Boehret, and I have put miles on
a production-model Segway lent to us by Segway LLC, the Manchester,
N.H., company founded by Dean Kamen, the scooter's inventor. We rode
it on city sidewalks, and through parks and public plazas. We glided
through hotel lobbies and shops, and tooled around suburban
subdivisions, parking lots and shopping centers. We rode in the rain
and even in a light snowfall, at day and at night. And we gave
test-rides to neighbors, co-workers and strangers on the street.

<http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20030410.html>