Interesting People mailing list archives

more on WIRELESS CARRIERS PROPOSE NEW 'NUMBER PORTABILITY' PLAN

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 20:31:09 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Bob Hinden <hinden () IPRG nokia com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 11:50:25 -0700
To: dave () farber net
Cc: hinden () IPRG nokia com
Subject: Re: [IP] WIRELESS CARRIERS PROPOSE NEW 'NUMBER PORTABILITY' PLAN

Dave,

This strikes me as a good idea as it would cause some real competition in
the land line space and cause the wireless carriers to improve their
infrastructure to make mobile phone reliable in places they are not
today.  I bet they don't expect it to really happen in that the ILECS will
hate it (and lobby against it in DC), but the biggest surprise would be if
it was adopted.

If this happens maybe we could get IP address portability in the Internet
as well!  I do understand the technical obstacles and that it would require
changes in the way things are done today, but I think the problem can be
overcome just like in the phone world.

Bob

------ End of Forwarded Message