Interesting People mailing list archives

Google security vulnerability?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 20:47:26 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <jhall () astron berkeley edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:19:08 -0700 (PDT)
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Google security vulnerability?

[If posted to IP, someone please tell me I'm crazy and that the
implications of this aren't pretty big. -joe]

Dave, I Thought you might be interested in this...

Incidentally, I was just installing ethereal (a network tool) on my
Mac and may have found an interesting security flaw in Google
(although it's not a terribly useful one).  Check this out (I'll have
to demonstrate by example):

1) Go to Google and search for "sudo ethereal"

2) The third entry should be entitled, "II. Lab Experiments" that is
linked to http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~cs3103/labs/lab1.pdf

3) If you click on this link it prompts you for a password... aw
shucks, it looked neat.

4) "But wait", you ask, "How did Google get the title if it's behind a
password authentication?" Well, look closely at the search result.

for the same URL (that was password protected).

6) Poof! You should see a crappy translation of a PDF into HTML...
but much of the document is still there!!!

I haven't heard anyone talk about this... I don't think it's in that
new "Google Hacks" book by O'Rielly, either.

hope that was interesting,
Joe

Joseph Lorenzo Hall                     jhall () astro berkeley edu

------ End of Forwarded Message