Interesting People mailing list archives

Rev. Jerry Falwell on Muhammas (I wonder if he ever read the old testiment? -- Jerry that is)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 15:45:15 -0400

5 Die in India During Protests Over Falwell
By REUTERS

OMBAY, Oct. 11 ‹ Five people were killed in western India today in clashes
between Hindus and Muslims that started during protests over remarks by the
Rev. Jerry Falwell in which he called the prophet Muhammad a terrorist, the
police said.

A senior police official said officers opened fire on the protesters after
some set fire to shops and vehicles in Solapur, about 280 miles south of
Bombay. The police said three people were killed by the gunfire; the other
two deaths are being investigated. Sixty-seven people were reported injured.

Muslim groups had called for a strike in protest against Mr. Falwell's
remarks, which were made during an interview on Sunday on the CBS News
program "60 Minutes." The remarks were reported by a local Urdu newspaper.

In his comments Mr. Falwell, a conservative Baptist, said, "I think Muhammad
was a terrorist," and he called him "a violent man."

The police in Solapur said the trouble started when a group of Muslims asked
Hindu shopkeepers to close the city's main market. Clashes soon spread, with
mobs from both communities throwing stones.

You are subscribed as interesting-people () lists elistx com